International Poster Competition for Israeli Apartheid Week 2019
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Are you an artist and want to contribute to end Israeli apartheid?
If the answer is yes, don’t miss out on this opportunity!
The International Coordination Committee of Israeli Apartheid Week (ICC-IAW) invites graphic designers, artists and artivists to submit original posters to be used as the image for the upcoming edition of IAW 2019.
Each year, Israeli Apartheid Week takes place across more than 200 universities and cities in the world. It aims to raise public awareness of the fact that Israel is indeed a regime of apartheid and settler-colonialism because of racial domination, colonization of occupied Palestinian land, and the legalization of the systematic oppression of the Palestinian people by Israel’s laws. Panels, film screenings, and creative actions build support for the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.
The winning poster will be exhibited extensively, reaching thousands of people in dozens of countries and will be used to announce IAW around the globe.
A) Process and Competition Dates
- November 14th 2018: Launch of the competition
- December 17th 2018: Closing date for the submission of posters
- December 22nd 2018: Announcement of the 3 finalist of the contest for IAW 2019
- December 22nd 2018 – January 21st 2019: Open vote for IAW 2019 winning poster
- January 22nd: Announcement of the winning poster for IAW 2019
- The International Poster Competition is open to graphic designers, artists, artivists or anyone involved in the defense of the human rights of the Palestinian people
- Entrants must be over 18 years old.
- Entrants are encouraged to explore the resources on the website IAW
- The poster must announce Israeli Apartheid Week and cannot include any racist, sexist, anti-semitic, or other discriminatory content
C) Poster Creation
- General aspects
- All posters must be original and the independent work of the artist.
- Competitors may submit more than one poster.
- The artist(s) of the winning poster must be open to changes and suggestions from the ICC-IAW, as long as they do not infringe on the artistic integrity of the work.
- Designs cannot include any racist such as antisemitic or islamophobic, sexist or any other type of discriminatory content
- Theme and messaging
- The designated theme for the IAW 2019 competition is “Stop Arming Colonialism”
- Posters should convey an inspiring and empowering message.
- Competitors are asked to submit an accompanying short description to each submitted design (no more than 100 words) in English, explaining the motivation behind their poster design.
- Design and technical requirements
- Competitors must create a design for a poster in European A4 size and North American size – 11×17 inches.
- The poster needs to be suitable to share in social media (Facebook and Twitter cover photo and profile, and website banner). If the original poster is not in this format, the artist will have to present the original and the social media ones.
- There are no limitations on layouts, color schemes, design or language.
- Since IAW is a global campaign, if language is used, please take into consideration that partners across the world will need to translate the text into their language and add their own dates. The poster needs to be done in layers (editable version) so others can add text in their language and modify dates accordingly.
- The following text must be included in the original poster:
- “Israeli Apartheid Week 2019”
- Theme: “Stop Arming Colonialism”
- Dates: 18-25 March 2019 (These are just sample dates as they will vary from one region to another)
D) Competition Prize
- The winning poster will be used as an image for IAW 2019 and used widely in this exciting global campaign to end the Israeli apartheid regime against the Palestinian people.
- The jury is formed by the International Coordination Committee of Israeli Apartheid Week (ICC-IAW).
- The jury will select the 3 final posters. The winning poster will be selected among the 3 finalist by an open voting process. For the online voting process we will use the Facebook pool app.
- The ICC-IAW is composed by Palestine solidarity and BDS groups from all over the world.
- The jury’s decision will be final and not open to appeal.
F) Poster Licenses and Later Use
- The winning poster will have a copyleft license and will be displayed extensively during IAW 2019.
- Participation in the competition denotes permission to the ICC-IAW to use and publicize the winning poster for educational and public use after the competition ends. The artist(s) will not receive payment for this use.
- Posters will be used and re-distributed by IAW partners across the world. Each country, region or city will adapt the poster to their use.
G) Submission of proposals
- Original proposals must be addressed to email@example.com
- Incomplete applications or applications received after midnight Dec 17th 2018 (Palestine time) will not be taken into consideration
- For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL COMPETITORS SUBMIT ENTRIES TO THE COMPETITION IN THE FULL UNDERSTANDING OF THE ABOVE RULES AND REGULATIONS.