Graphics materials & posters:
The poster and graphics for Israeli Apartheid Week 2018.
- The Facebook Cover :
- The Horizontal Poster :
- The Vertical Poster :
Visualising Palestine has a wide range of fantastic infographics about Palestine and Israeli apartheid. You can contact them to order printed copies or high-resolution copies to print yourself.
- Youth and Education in Palestine by Stop the Wall
- Walls of Apartheid all over Palestine by Stop the Wall
- Apartheid in Palestine—Definition, History up to the Wall, and Tool for Mobilization by Stop the Wall
- Israeli Apartheid Factsheet by War On Want
Roadmap to Apartheid (available via Vimeo) – Featuring interviews with key South African and Palestinian activists and incredibly powerful footage, this film shows the parallels between apartheid South Africa and modern day Israeli apartheid. Powerfully narrated by Alice Walker.
The Wanted 18 – an award-winning and astonishing true story. Animation, claymation and interviews highlight an absurd footnote in the history of the bitter foes. Set in the late 1980s against the backdrop of the first Intifada, The Wanted 18 begins with residents from the predominantly Christian Arab village of Beit Sahour in the occupied West Bank deciding to buy 18 cows and produce their own milk as a co-operative.
We Cannot Go There Now, My Dear – Highlights the story of Palestinian refugees that have been living in Syria since they had been forced to flee Palestine in 1948. With the ongoing war in Syria, they, alongside the Syrians have been affected… Their story, however, is more complex. By fleeing Syria and seeking refuge in Lebanon they are becoming a special category of refugees: they are refugees twice over.
Bidayyat has a great database of films and documentaries. Check their website for further information.
Articles and reports:
Civil society sources (activist and academic):
For beginners –
- Palestinian BDS National Committee (BNC): Colonialism and Apartheid
- Ben White: Israeli Apartheid: A Beginner’s Guide, second edition (2014), Pluto Press (you can watch a short presentation video here)
- Omar Barghouti: Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions: The Global Struggle for Palestinian Rights (2011), Haymarket Books.
For more advanced reading –
- Russell Tribunal on Palestine, a people’s court, Cape Town Session (2011), summary of findings.
- John Dugard, John Reynolds: “Apartheid, International Law, and the Occupied Palestinian Territory”, in; European Journal of International Law (EJIL), 2013
- Birzeit University Institute of Law & Civic Coalition for Palestinian Rights in Jerusalem:
- “Guidelines for Advocating for Palestinian Rights in conformity with International Law” (2014)
- Diakonia: “Same Game, Different Rules Practices and Policies of Racial Discrimination by the Occupying Power in the Occupied Palestinian Territories; Legal Brief” (2016)
- “United against Apartheid, Colonialism and Occupation, Dignity and Justice for the Palestinian People – Palestinian Civil Society Strategic Position Paper (2008) – prepared for the UN WCAR-Durban Review Conference in Geneva
- The Human Sciences Research Council of South Africa:
- “Occupation, Colonialism, Apartheid? A re-assessment of Israel’s practices in the occupied Palestinian territories under international law”, Human Sciences Research Council, May 2009
- Al Shabaka, Nadia Hijab & Ingrid Jaradat: “Talking Palestine: What Frame of Analysis? Which Goals and Messages?” (2017)
- Al Shabaka, Yara Hawari: “Apartheid from Within? The Palestinian Citzens of Israel” (2017)
- ECCP & Mundubat Fact Sheet: “Will Europe address Israeli Colonialism and Apartheid? The Case of Palestinian Jerusalem” (2017)
UN Special Rapporteurs on Human Rights in the OPT and other UN sources:
- UN Special Rapporteur John Dugard, A/HRC/4/17 (29 Jan 2007)
- UN Special Rapporteur Richard Falk, A/HRC/16/72 (10 January 2011)
- UN Special Rapporteur Richard Falk, A/HRC/25/67 (13 January 2014)
- UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, Review of Israel (2012)
- Human Rights Council: Report, Independent Fact Finding Mission on the Israeli Settlements in the OPT, A/HRC/22/63 (7 February 2013)
- UN ESCWA report (2017) “Israeli Practices toward the Palestinian People and the Question of Apartheid”, ESCWA, March 2017 (removed from UN website upon instructions by the Secretary General)